From the end of the 1870s and up to the turn of the century Skagen was an international meeting place for young artists.
During the 1880s Skagen was transformed into an artists’ colony where there was room for both work and leisure. Already in their lifetime the Skagen artists achieved world fame at significant exhibitions held abroad.
The most prominent Skagen artists are the Danish painters Anna and Michael Ancher and P.S. Krøyer. But also artists such as Holger Drachmann, who was both poet and painter, Viggo Johansen, Carl Locher, Laurits Tuxen and the Scandianvian artists Christian Krohg and Oscar Björck all contributed to putting Skagen on the map.
Skagens Museum was founded in 1908 in order to collect and preserve the works of the famous artists’ colony in the surroundings in which they were created. Since 1928 the museum has resided in a building designed by the architect Ulrik Plesner.
The Garden House, where many of the artists used to rent lodgings, and the old grain-drying warehouse where P.S. Krøyer established his first studio in Skagen can both be found in the museum’s atmospheric and evocative garden.
The museum has been enlarged several times, most recently in 2014-2016 with a new wing by Friis & Moltke Architects.