Until 1912, the borough of Aalborg's administration was assembled in the town hall, where the tasks were solved by only 9 persons. Today it is only used for official receptions and civil marriages.
The years 1759 and 1762, which can be seen on the North and front sides of the building respectively, indicate the time period in which the town hall was built.
Above the main entrance is a bust of King Frederik V, the national coat of arms and a Latin inscription, Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God Alone), and just above the door, King Frederik's motto, Prudentia et Constantia (prudence and constancy) is written. On either side of the entrance of this graceful, yellow-painted, rococo building, the only remaining gas lamps in Aalborg can be seen.